2lb/1kg Grated Raw Carrot
1 tbsp Ground Cardomon
1 x 400ml Tin Coconut Milk
4oz/110g Ground Cashew Nuts (Optional)
Nutrition: This is a great way to turn a healthy vegetable, such as the carrot, into a very tasty sweet treat which is ideal for a packed lunch or picnic. It can also be eaten as a coffee or tea snack. Packed with carrots rich in vitamin-A and lutein, both very good for eyesight and protecting against macular degeneration. Carrots are also rich in beta-carotene, an excellent anti-oxidant. Even more powerful are the anthocyanins found in purple carrots. They are also rich in glutathione, calcium and potassium. There aren’t many fudge recipes that could be said to be good for you……. Or as tasty!
- Put the carrots and the butter into a good size heavy bottom saucepan over a low heat.
- You need to cook the carrots slowly until they are very soft.
- Add the sugar and coconut milk and continue cooking at barely a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Once all the liquid has been absorbed and you are left with a kind of carrot paste it is ready. Don’t worry if it appears ‘oily’. This is because of the fats in the butter and coconut milk.
- Lastly stir in the ground cashews which will help the halwa set.
- Line a loaf tin with cling film and squash the halwa into it fimly. Fold over the cling film and refrigerate for several hours or until set.
- Turn out and cut into squares with a sharp knife.